In this article, you will learn how to map Datamaran topics against your company topics in order to aggregate them under issues aligned with your company strategy.
To refine the list of issues and the underlying topics in your materiality assessment, we recommend mapping Datamaran topics against your existing strategic topics. These could be:
- The pillars and commitments of your CSR policy
- The structure of your CSR reporting
- The list of material issues from previous exercises
- The non-financial issues identified in your risk mapping.
To refine your topic mapping:
- Study Datamaran topics and their description to identify if there are any topics that you haven't considered
- Map your existing strategic topics against Datamaran topics to identify possible gaps between your strategic topics and Datamaran’s topic list (you can reach out to the Customer Success team if you are not sure about the coverage of a topic).
- Review the Community Topics to see if there are Shared Topics that are relevant for inclusion, or consider building your own.
- Identify new topics that you can include in your analysis.
The main objective of this exercise is to identify which Datamaran topics and Community Topics can be grouped with other issues, or if you can enrich your current mapping. You can use the Datamaran default mapping to facilitate this process.
Make sure that the issues in your mapping are:
- Real issues, not only internal policies or actions from your roadmap, e.g. Marketing to children vs Responsible marketing & advertising.
- Self-supporting and independent of one another.
- Carried out to the same level of granularity, maintaining a similar number of topics underlying all the issues.
- Worded in a way that is understandable to the business, both internally and externally.
It is important not to overly reduce the scope of the issues at this stage of the analysis. Only exclude the issues that are undeniably not relevant or applicable to your business. You will be able to review and easily adapt the list of issues later on in the process.
To edit your topic mapping in the Materiality Module, you need to:
- Go to the Materiality Module.
- Go to your analysis.
- In the analysis page, click on the “Topic mapping” button.
- In the “Topic mapping”, you’ll be able to customize the name and the description of the issue.
- You can add issues by clicking on the “Add issue” button.
- Open each issue to modify the underlying topics by clicking on the arrow on the right.
- Here you can remove and add topics or modify the weight of each underlying topic. Any Community Topics need to be a) in 'Your Topics' list and b) in 'Published' mode for them to be added to your topic mapping.
- Save your changes and update your analysis.